Main content of the website

  • font sizeA
  • A
  • A


Utility Clerk

Debi Malone

$16.00/month Plus $2.26 per cubic meter of metered water.

$20.00/month for Residential
$20.00/month for Commercial
$45.00/month for Restaurants
$45.00/month for Industrial
50% of water shall be charged for Schools, Hospitals, Assisted Living Facilities, Hotels & Motels.


$24.50/month ($13.50 for garbage pick up and $11.00 for use of the Transfer Station)



  • Preauthorized Payment Plan - automatically withdrawals bill amount from your bank account on the 20th of each month.
  • Cash, Cheque or Debit at the Town Office - Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (closed holidays)
  • Mail - must be postmarked by Canada Post no later then the due date.
  • Online Banking - available for most banks, account number located on Utility Bill.
  • Credit Card Payment- 3rd Party Vendor 

If you have any questions regarding payment options please contact the Town Office during business hours at 780-332-4626

If you notice on your bill “system estimated”, “actual reading of  0” or a negative consumption,  please call the Town Office with the current reading of your meter and we’ll get your consumption up to date.


Garbage is picked up twice a week:
Monday - East side of Highway 2
Thursday - West side of Highway 2

The garbage in Grimshaw is picked up by Prairie Disposal and contracted by Long Lake Waste Management on our behalf.

The bigger garbage can be taken to our Transfer Station at 4702 - 57 Ave. The Transfer Station in Grimshaw hours are:
Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 12:00 (noon) to 6:00 p.m. (and summers until 8:00 p.m.)
Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.


The recycle mark is a small recycle triangle stamped into plastic with a number in the center. All plastics which can be recycled will have this stamp somewhere on them (food or beverage containers have it on the bottom.)  

Mixed Paper
Includes: Newspaper, flyers, magazines, catalogs, mail, bond, letter and copy paper, colored paper, envelopes, phone books, brochures, paperback books, labels, and greeting cards.
Notes: Staples and paper clips do not need to be removed. Heavy duty clips must be removed.
In the Newsprint / Office Paper / Household Paper bin, we can accept all newsprint materials, all office paper materials and general items like magazines and brochures. Please do not put any shredded material into the paper bins.
Tin Cans
Includes: Beverage and food containers, jar lids.
Notes: Please remove labels and rinse.
Includes: Plastic bags, containers and other products with the following recycle codes can be recycled.
#1 - Ex: Soft drink bottles,#2 - Ex: Milk jugs, #3 - Ex: Plastic grocery bags, #4 - Ex: Margarine containers (Note: Please rinse containers.) The numbers for the plastics can be found on the bottom of most plastic containers inside of the mobius loop (green logo).

Water services are an important part of Grimshaw. We've outlined some of the most common questions below.

Frequently Asked Questions

Question: What is the hardness of my water and what number of grains should I set on the water softener?

Generally, water softeners should be set at 20 grains and adjusted higher if needed. The highest it should be set is 22 grains. Keep in mind the lower the grains the less salt or potassium is needed to soften your water. The salt and/or potassium becomes concentrated in the waste water used to soften water and becomes part of the sewage transmitted to the Sewer Lagoon. Because the treated effluent is released to the Peace River, the high TDS lowers the water quality as many plants are sensitive to the higher salt levels. By setting your water softener to the lowest grains needed, the quality of treated effulgent is improved.

Question: What phone number - do I call to report a water line break?

During business hours (Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.) you can call 780-332-4626.

After hours you can call 780-332-1599. This is the Town’s answering service which is open 24 hours a day 365 days a year. If you get a recording the dispatchers on duty are answering another call, please leave a message. Include the following:

- Your name
- Phone number with area code
- Address of the water break

The dispatcher will contact the on-call water personnel. Please be aware that that dispatcher may be addressing more than one issue and several callers. Unless there is a question about the break, you will probably not receive a call back.

Question: What number do I call if I have a question on my water (utility) bill or need to transfer service?

Please phone 780-332-4626.

Question: Where does my drinking water come from?

The aquifer beneath the Town and Lac Cardinal.

Question: My water comes out of the faucet cloudy and then clears up, why is that?

The small bubbles in the water that make it look cloudy or milky are from the air in the water lines. This sometimes happens when a line is broken and repaired or when a water line is first connected to the system. Some areas of town always receive milky looking water due to the design of the water delivery system that feeds that area. Excess air is constantly trapped in the water lines, saturating the water with air bubbles giving the water a milky appearance. Water quality is unaffected; in fact aeration is sometimes used in water treatment facilities to make the water taste better. Letting the water sit for a few seconds in a glass will allow the water to clear as the bubbles dissipate.

Question: How do I know if I have a leak?

This is a great question. Leaks often go undetected, wasting gallons of water and dollars.

- Turn off all the water inside and outside the home. This includes ice makers and other water using appliances such as clothes washers.
- Watch the water meter - often located in the basement or the crawlspace.
- If the meter is turning, you have a leak.

Question: What do I do if I have a leak?

Finding a leak can be difficult. There are some things to check:

- Check the toilets- one of the most frequently unnoticed leaks. Toilets can lose up to 100 gallons a day. Add a few drops of food coloring to the toilet tank.  Don't flush the toilet for 15 to 20 minutes. If the color shows up in the bowl, the toilet is leaking. Generally it is the flapper that needs to be replaced. Since homeowners can often replace this part themselves, be sure to purchase a flapper for your specific toilet model. If you are not comfortable making this repair, call a licensed plumber.

- Check water faucets and outside spigots for drips. Washers may need to be replaced.

- Check under sinks for leaking pipes.

- If you cannot locate the leak, contact a properly licensed plumber for additional assistance.

Question: What is the purpose of a backflow device and why is it required in new construction?

The backflow program was established to meet provincial water quality regulations and to prevent the possible contamination of the drinking water. Backflow occurs when water pressure before the meter drops lower than the pressure after the meter allowing water to flow back into the water distribution system. If a sprinkler system is connected to the culinary water system, a backflow prevention assembly shall be installed. The International Plumbing Code requires backflow assemblies to be installed per the manufacturer's directions. A properly installed backflow assembly will prevent contaminants from flowing back into water distribution system. Remember, if backflow occurs due to an unprotected line or a faulty assembly, your family will be affected first.

Question: How long can I store drinking water?

Drinking water that is thoroughly disinfected can be stored indefinitely in non corrosive capped plastic or glass containers that will not be rusted by the water as may occur in metal containers. Be careful to use plastic that will not make the water taste bad - trial and error is best here. Because the taste will become "flat" after extended storage, periodic replacement is recommended.

Question: What are some methods of emergency disinfection?


Vigorous boiling for one minute will kill any disease-causing microorganisms present in water. The flat taste of boiled water can be improved by pouring it back and forth from one container to another (called aeration), by allowing it to stand for a few hours, or by adding a small pinch of salt for each quart of water boiled.

Tincture of Iodine:

Common household iodine from the medicine chest or first aid kit may be used to disinfect water. Add five drops of 2 percent United States Pharmacopoeia (U.S.P.) Tincture of iodine to each liter of clear water. For cloudy water add ten drops and let the solution stand for at least 30 minutes.